Super-easy Paleo Alfredo
I chose to use a cashew-based sauce with zucchini noodles and pork loin, but there many different ways to tackle this dish. Different alfredo bases, like cauliflower or even reggiano cheese, will pair better with different noodles and meats. Sweet potato noodles could be delicious with ground lamb, or the lighter cauliflower-based alfredo may taste best with chicken or shrimp. Don’t be afraid to try different combinations!
Several straight, hard zucchini squash
Alfredo Sauce – with Cashews
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
1/2 cup full fat coconut cream (or coconut milk if you are looking to cut calories)
1 cup bone broth or chicken stock, divided
3 cloves garlic (or 2 TBL garlic powder)
Spiralizer, or sharp paring knife
Food processor, or high-speed blender
Medium mixing bowl
- Start by peeling the zucchinis (optional, but preferred). Follow the directions for your spiralizer to create long, thin “noodles” – or use the paring knife in a spiral motion around the zucchini from top to bottom to create long, curly “noodles.”
- Place the zucchini “noodles” in the mixing bowl and generously salt them. This helps to draw out moisture. Set aside.
- Place cashews, coconut cream, 1/2 cup broth, and garlic into your food processor or blender. Blend until puree is smooth. Add additional broth as desired for smoother consistency.
- Pour pureed sauce into the saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to form. Stir frequently.
- Once your sauce is heated, serve immediately over zucchini noodles. Feel free to add in pre-cooked meat or other vegetables while heating the sauce. Enjoy!